PEAK is seeking a for Livestock Specialist in Shawano, WI. In this position, the ideal candidate will effectively handle our sires in a manner that will achieve maximum sperm harvest, and will also assist veterinarians in the testing and treatment of livestock.
Major Areas of Accountability
- Collect semen from sires according to established protocols and handle sires properly to stimulate them for semen collection
- Assist in all aspects of the semen collection process and provide care to bulls and young sire
- Consistently follow all preparations, stimulation, sanitation, and identification procedures during the semen collection process
- Feed, clean, move and handle bulls
- Perform health testings, veterinary treatments, and clipping and hoof trimming
- Closely observe livestock and report any signs of illness, lameness, unusual behavior, or any other abnormalities to the supervisor
- Operate company vehicles, trucks, trailers, and farm equipment in accordance with PEAK, state, and federal DOT requirements to transport and move livestock as needed and operate farm equipment for crop production, manure disposal, and livestock care.
- Comfortable working with large animals and experience working with sires
- Previous livestock handling experience and experience detecting health and disease symptoms in cattle
- Able to obtain and maintain a valid CDL driver’s license
- Ability to work weekends and lift/carry up to 50 pounds
- Ability to perform basic equipment and building maintenance repairs
- Ability to follow instructions and detailed procedures
- Basic computer skills working with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work on feet and stand for long periods of time
- Keen sense of attention to safe working practices and strong awareness of surroundings
- Ability to work independently and in a fast-paced, team environment as well as possess effective communication skills
- Willingness to grow and develop both personally and professionally
To apply for this job please visit genex.coop.