About the Company
PEAK is the source of superior genetics to the URUS brands and the world. PEAK develops and produces elite bovine genetics and industry-leading reproductive products through genetic programs, production, and research and development. PEAK people are in multiple countries and locations and have an extensive level of expertise, including genetics, operations, research, and data management.
PEAK is a part of URUS Group LP. As a holding company with cooperative and private ownership, URUS is a family of businesses at the heart of the dairy and beef industry — PEAK, Alta Genetics, GENEX, Jetstream Genetics, SCCL and VAS. Each of these organizations has its own unique identity, products, and services. These companies work globally to provide cutting-edge dairy and beef genetics, customized reproductive services to maximize conceptions, dairy management information to take producers to the frontline of progressive farming, and an array of products and services to help bovines reach their full genetic potential. URUS Group has 25 operating companies in 14 countries, $400 million turnover, and employs approximately 2,000 people.
PEAK is looking to fill the position of Lab Technician for our Shawano, WI laboratory. In this position, individuals will process, evaluate, extend, package, and freeze bovine semen.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Perform semen processing duties, including evaluating collected semen for motility, concentration, volume, quality, and initial dilution of semen. In addition, cool semen, prepare research samples, and weekly test the spectrophotometer.
- Assemble and disassemble AVs and wash, soak, and sterilize AV components, and wash and sterilize cuvettes.
- Print semen straws on production days and maintain and record straw inventory. Keep records on bull registration and enter new bulls into straw printing database.
- Weigh out and hang blue extenders, extensions of semen, and fill, seal, and rack straws.
- Freeze semen straws through Digi-Cool and using a conventional freezing tank maintaining nitrogen levels
- Build hose and needle sets, wash and sterilize glassware and lab equipment. Make milk extenders, weekly antibiotics, and weigh out stock antibiotics.
- Prior experience is not required and on the job training will be provided
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be detail-oriented and work well individually and in a group setting
- Willingness to develop and grow both personally and professionally.
Deadline for applications: 1/16/2021. This posting may close prior to the deadline date if the position is filled.
To apply for this job please visit genex.coop.