About the Company
PEAK is the source of superior genetics to the URUS brands and the world. PEAK develops and produces elite bovine genetics and industry-leading reproductive products through genetic programs, production, and research and development. PEAK people are in multiple countries and locations and have an extensive level of expertise, including genetics, operations, research, and data management.
PEAK is a part of URUS Group LP. As a holding company with cooperative and private ownership, URUS is a family of businesses at the heart of the dairy and beef industry — PEAK, Alta Genetics, GENEX, Jetstream Genetics, SCCL and VAS. Each of these organizations has its own unique identity, products, and services. These companies work globally to provide cutting-edge dairy and beef genetics, customized reproductive services to maximize conceptions, dairy management information to take producers to the frontline of progressive farming, and an array of products and services to help bovines reach their full genetic potential. URUS Group has 25 operating companies in 14 countries, $400 million turnover, and employs approximately 2,000 people.
PEAK is looking to fill the position of Lab Technician for our Shawano, WI laboratory. In this position, individuals will evaluate the in vitro quality of frozen thawed semen ensuring a quality product.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Evaluate the in vitro quality of frozen thawed semen with an emphasis on biological quality of the semen.
- Evaluate frozen thawed semen using specialized laboratory equipment, such as a flowcytometer, CASA-IVOS, microscope and nucleocounter
- Provide assessments of post-thawed semen quantity and quality
- Provide assessments on the integrity of straws (straw labeling, physcial appearance, etc.)
- Accurately record data for each batch
- Maintain liquid nitrogen levels in all tanks
- Prepare media and supplies for routine laboratory use as prescribed by laboratory SOP’s
- Use laboratory equipment to accurately measure liquids and powdered chemicals
- Assist with gobletting and caning semen as needed and pack semen for shipment or transport, providing necessary documentation
- Assist with preparation and shipping of samples for health status testing or other outside testing
- 2+ years of prior experience in a semen processing lab preferred but not required
- Ability to provide quality control analysis of biological samples
- Is flexible and collabortive
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Must be detail-oriented and work well individually and in a group setting
- Willingness to develop and grow both personally and professionally.
To apply for this job please visit genex.coop.